About This Page
This page provides a summary of the policies relating to the blog.
Policies For This Blog
- The contents of the blog will primarily address issues related to the Web, including Web standards, innovative Web developments and best practices in providing Web services.
- The blog will also provide a test bed for experiments and for testing new services and provide access to discussions about the experiment.
- The blog will provide an opportunity for me to ‘think out loud“: i.e. describe speculative ideas, thoughts which may occur to me, etc. which may be of interest to others or for which I would welcome feedback.
- The blog will seek to both disseminate information and encourage discussion and debate.
- The blog will be used as an open notebook, so that ideas, thoughts and opinions can be shared with others.
- The target audience includes Web authors, developers, designers and policy maker and the wider digital library and Web research community, in particular those in the UK higher and further education communities and cultural heritage sectors, together with key players in the international community.
- The writing style, grammar and design of links will seek to make the blog readable.
- Minor changes to blog postings and comments may be made to fix errors.
- Comments which are felt to be spam or are inappropriate will be deleted. Comments will be unmoderated and permitted for all posts unless this is too time-consuming to manage.
- In exceptional circumstances, postings and comments may be deleted.
- A copy of the contents of the blog will be made available to UKOLN (my host organisation) if I leave UKOLN. Note that this may not include the full content if there are complications concerning their party content (e.g. guest blog posts, embedded objects, etc.), technical difficulties in exporting data, etc.)
- Since the blog reflects personal views I reserve the rights to continue providing the blog if I leave UKOLN. If this happens I will remove any UKOLN branding from the blog.
Quality Assurance For This Blog
The following quality assurance processed will be deployed:
- A spell-checker will be used prior to publishing a post.
- Periodic link-checks will be carried out to ensure that links from this blog are functional.
- Feedback on posts will be encouraged.
- Occasional evaluations of the blog will be carried out.
Mote that a Risk Register for this blog has been published (January 2012).
Changes To The Policies
Also note that:
- The scope, policies, target audiences and procedures may be subject to change in light of experiences, resource implications or changes in external factors.
This page was first published on 30 January 2007.
Policies on making the content of the blog available if I leave UKOLN added on 24 April 2009.
Added “Comments will be unmoderated and permitted for all posts unless this is too time-consuming to manage” to policy on comments on 15 February 2010.
Updated the Creative Commons statement in blog’s sidebar with the following statement added: “This licence applies to textual content published by the author and (unless stated otherwise) guest bloggers. Comments posted on this blog will also be deemed to have be published with this licence. Please note though, that images and other resources embedded in the blog may not be covered by such licences. ” on 7 May 2010.
Added “The blog will be used as an open notebook, so that ideas, thoughts and opinions can be shared with others.” on 17 October 2010.